|JOHANN SCHNEGG, an outstanding
He worked for the margrave of Bayreuth (Bavaria) and for the king of Prussia, Frederick II the Great
(b. in Ried bei Imsterberg in 1724 - d. in Artzl im Pitztal in 1784 )
|The area of northern Tyrol were he was born, situated between Innsbruck and the Bavarian (German), Swiss and Italian borders, has for centuries produced cabinet makers and sculptors carving essentially wood, ivoiry, stucco and sometimes stone too. Even nowadays some Schneggs still living there have artistic occupations.|
Schnegg (written sometimes Schneck, or Schneeg) was born
near Imst in 1724. He learnt his handicraft in workshops
in the neighbourhood. Then he spent about one year in
Innsbruck in 1747 and went to Bayreuth in 1748 where he
worked for J.G. Ziegler, in charge of the Sculpture
Cabinet of the Margrave of Bayreuth (a brother-in-law of
the Prussian king Frederick II). There Johann Schnegg
married the daughter of his employer and later took over
the workshop of his father-in-law after his death in
For the Hermitage in Bayreuth he produced several monumental
sculptures : Socrates, two groups representing the Rapt
of the Sabines, River Gods for a pool in the gardens. His
original statue of Flora (Goddess of flowers) achieved
in 1755, is now in the Orangerie of the New Castle in
Bayreuth, a copy of it having been raised in the garden.
He achieved also several statues for the basilica of Gössweinstein, a pilgrim place, not very far
Besides he produced fine furniture and stucco décors for the Court as well.
|In 1761 he left
Bayreuth to Postdam, where King Frederick II invited
gifted young sculptors, not yet very famous, to
participate in the ornamentation of his Sanssouci Palace,
where there are about four thousands statues. This
magnificent Palace and its extensive gardens
became in 1990 a World Heritage Site under the protection
All these sculptors, who needed to be helped by workmen for heavy statues, worked after the sketches of the architect who shared the work to be done between their workshops. The accounts of that time usually don't give sufficient information to enable an accurate individualization for each sculpture but they indicate with certainty the different workshops that have performed a definite set of statues.
At Sanssouci, from 1761 to 1769, Johann Schnegg achieved a marble group of children for a fountain in the Marble Hall in this palace. He also worked for several monumental sets : sandstone statues, 3.2 m high and about to 2 metric tons heavy each, staying on the attica around the New Palace roof, marble children groups on the balustrade of the terrace and vases along the facade of the Pictures Gallery.
Gifts, G. Schnegg's Sculpture, G. Schnegg's Painting ,
Exhibitions, Lucien Schnegg, The Bande à Schnegg, Museums, Related Sites, Small ads
Last revision : 14-05-2014